Applying for a Non Lucrative Visa for Spain

In order to pass the good on I am writing this brief post to outline a few details that are important when filing a nonlucrative one year visa for Spain.

It seems a bit overwhelming, but it is possible!

I want to give credit to two bloggers that helped me initially:

Bucking The Trend. com 

An Epic Education 

Now, I am working with the Consulate in Houston and they have been amazing.  Super responsive and helpful. I initially made my appointment for Nov. 2nd, but soon realized my FBI Fingerprints would not arrive in time (they still have not arrived). I rescheduled for Nov 22nd. In order to get it done, I contacted Passport Express here in Austin and they facilitated the entire process for me. It took two weeks and I had all of it done and I was ready for my appointment!

I arrived at the consulate and gave them all my documents, they let me know I was missing the translations of my bank statements, the medical certificate signed by an MD not a NP, and copies of the home owner’s ID where I will be residing.

I left everything and paid the fee.  They gave me a document listing what I needed to get done and gave me a deadline of 10 business days to complete it and send it to them via post.

Here are the details of what you need prior to your appointment:

You need two copies of each of these documents and you MUST send the ORIGINAL. They will not accept scans or copies without the original.

1. Visa application form (Original and photocopy): The application form must be filled out and signed.
2. Two passport-type photos. (White Background, 2×2″) glued to the form. Make sure they are the right size. 
3. Passport or Travel Document. (Original and photocopy of the main page). Passport should be no older than 10 years. Please make sure your passport has at least one blank page for the new visa.
4. I.D. Card that proves your place of residence is within the jurisdiction of the Spanish Consulate in Houston (Original and a photocopy). You can provide one of the following documents: U.S. Driver license, State I.D. card, Voter’s Registration Card, current Student I.D.
5. (Non-US. Citizens only) Alien Registration Card or long-term U.S. Visa. (Original and a photocopy).
– Holders of B-1 and B-2 Visas cannot apply in the United States; they must apply in their country of residence or country of origin.
– Applicants holding Student Visas must also submit their I-20 signed by the university on the last page and a copy of their F-1 Visa.
7. 790-52 Form plus tax fee (Click here for help )
8. Medical Certificate: It must be recent (Issued within the last 3 months) and handwritten signature of a doctor (M.D. or D.O.) with the following format (Please see specifications attached).  Make sure it is signed by the doctor, not just the NP. 
9. Certification of “absence of police records” (18 years of age or older) (Original, photocopy, translation into Spanish, photocopy of translation): Obtain a background check verified by fingerprint comparison. This document is valid for 3 months in reference to the date that it was issued. It must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” and then translated into Spanish.
The background check can be issued by either:
(a) The U.S. Justice Department– FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation and must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” by the Secretary of State in Washington D.C.
(b) The State Justice Department (all states where the applicant has resided in the last 5 years) and the document must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” by the Secretary of State of said state.
See common questions and issues for details about the background check or the Apostille of The Hague.
10. Documentation proving economic funds sufficient for the duration of residence or proof of a minimum reoccurring monthly income.  The minimum amount will increase for every additional member of the family. There must be proof of significant savings and proof of re-occurring, non-working income. Original, photocopy and translation into Spanish. 
11. Proof of Insurance that covers Sanitary Assistance, Accidents, Emergencies, Evacuation, Medical Repatriation, Return of Remains with complete international coverage, with ZERO (0) deductible, no co-payment. It must be from a company that is authorized to operate in Spain. No other type of insurance will be accepted. (Requirements attached) Also, see common questions and issues for details.
12. Payment of the Visa Fees is accepted with money orders. Money orders are to be addressed to the ”General Consulate of Spain Los Angeles”. Money will not be reimbursed even if the visa is not granted or is canceled. See common questions and issues for details.
13. Disclaimer, properly signed.
• Spouse of the main applicant should submit his/ her own application with the same documents plus the Marriage certificate authenticated with the Apostille of The Hague  and translated into Spanish. (Bring photcopies of the original documents and the translations)
• Children of the main applicant should submit their own application with the same documents plus the Birth certificate authenticated with the Apostille of The Hague and translated into Spanish. (Bring photcopies of the original documents and the translations)


I got my translation of the apostille done with Martha Cotera who works in Austin. Because the consulate wanted the other translations done by a “traductor/a jurado/a” I contacted Aurora. They were both amazing! If you want their contact information please let me know!


If you have any specific questions please let me know! I will be posting about getting my two cats and two dogs there closer to our move date.

I will update this post as needed!

If you enjoyed it please share it!



You will go to the “Comisaría” (police station- check online which one and make sure you bring:

  1. Passport Pictures (2)
  2. A copy of your entry stamp from passport
  3. A copy of your passport main page
  4. The proof of payment for the visa in SPAIN (you may have to pick it up at the comisaría before paying)
  5. AND Proof of residency through City Hall – Empadronamiento.

You will go and present all the above and go pick up your residency card in 45 days (at least in Vigo)!!

Thank you for reading!

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.